Monday 15 July 2013

Deciding what to do at 16

Deciding what to do at 16

Why is it so hard to choose what do with your life?

I've never really known what I want to be when I'm older. I mean, I've had ideas, loads of them but they change all the time. I've wanted to be a ballerina, princess, Gardner  vet, nurse, receptionist, hair dresser and at the moment, well I thought I wanted to be a teacher?

I change my mind all the time, but then since year 8 I've thought being a teacher was a good idea and because this ides lasted for three years I presumed I had finally decided what I want to do, but I am now unsure. 

I thought wanting to be a teacher was it, nothing else but now I realise there are so many different teaching jobs. Like what subject you teach, what age you teach, what environment you teach and what kind of people you teach. There are so many things to think about at the tender age of 16.

College is going to happen soon and I'm still not 100% sure on what I should choose to take there, I did choose A Levels which were Chemistry, History, Sociology and Psychology. But I now find myself doubting these choices. What I choose will get me into university which then means it will kind make my future, which is a big decision for a 16 year old who can barely decide what cereal to have in the morning.

So how do I decide? It is a big decision, Or am I just thinking to much in to it? I know I'm not the first to go college but I seem to be the only one out of my friends who has no idea what to do. There are so many job options out there now, its hard to chose one, as I know I can and its highly likely I'll change my mind.

My family say "Do what you want to do, not by what others say"
Friends say "I've heard that's hard/boring" or "Do this like me" or "That sounds crap"
Teachers say "Do what you want, however you will be wasted on a BTEC course so do A Levels"

They try to help, but there help doesn't help. My sisters never had this problem, they knew what they wanted so didn't even think twice, so why am I thinking so much about it? 

I'm only 16 and yet I am deciding things that will effect what I do for the rest of my life. However, I know no one is expecting me to know everything, but I feel like I should have some kind of plan to stick by or something to fall back on.

Please tell me if anyone else is having huge doubts like this at my age, or did have?

Thank you

George, who is stressing about future life and what it may bring.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment